Tuesday 11 November 2008

Day Four

I looked down at my wrists and could not believe what a mess they were in. I was right about the cable ties being used as handcuffs, the cable tie had cut into my skin and there was blood oozing all around, no wonder it was throbbing. My left side was faring slightly better but it was still very painful. I carefully and somewhat clumsily placed the tray on the floor, every movement made the cable tie cut even more deeply into my wrist. I winced and stood up. I cannot tell you how much better I felt being able to see again. It made me feel so much more positive and I suddenly felt injected with an overwhelming sense of anger. In all the time that I had spent away from my family, the only emotions I had been feeling were that of being scared and anxious. I walked around the room trying to sort my head out. This scenario had obviously been planned down to the last detail, this was a pre-meditated kidnapping. I don't think that it was individual to me, I was just unlucky but I still did not know what exactly they wanted from me. I looked back on as much as I could remember from leaving my home to being stopped in my car. The man that I first met was forgettable, especially in the situation that I was in but I tried to re-live the moment in my mind. He was definitely of Arab origin. He had dark hair, brown eyes and a trimmed beard and moustache. Unfortunately a high proportion of the population looked like him. An image flashed in to my head from when I was first taken; as he pushed me in front of him shortly after he spoke on the walkie talkie I noticed that he did not have the tip of one of his fingers. Strange but true. I could not remember which finger or even which hand but it was one way of identifying him. Good, I thought to myself. I am pretty sure that it was not the same man that had come into the room earlier as I think they had different voices. There was no way that I could identify the second man as my eyes were streaming.

So, where the hell was I? There was no outside sound it was silent, there were no windows. I looked around the room to see if there was anything that would be able to identify where i was, but nothing. Time passed, I am not sure how much and I found myself worn out completely from all of the worrying. I dropped in and out of sleep and spent much of my time wandering around my prison. The boredom made me concentrate too much on the pain in my wrists and I tried so hard not to think about them. I attempted to pick at the food that was on the tray but I had no appetite at all. I was worried that me not eating would have cause for my kidnappers to react badly towards me and I did not want that to happen. I looked around for a stone or something so that I could mark on the walls how much time had passed but the floors were clear, the room had obviously been made ready for my arrival. No fruit basket or chocolates on my pillow, I won't be staying here again, I thought and smiled to myself.

The silence was playing games with my mind and I kept thinking about Tom Hanks in Castaway who went mad from spending to much time on his own. I tried to listen out for any kind of noise but there was nothing. I had managed to count time in my head and since I started four hours passed and then I lost track and had to start again. Suddenly I heard footsteps and my heart was pounding again, I felt sure that they would never come to the door and for some strange reason a small part of me wanted them too. I counted 46 steps before I heard the door being unlocked and I prepared myself not only for the light to be turned on but for what was in store for me next.

1 comment:

The World According To Me said...

You can't leave me in suspense!

So what is in store for you next?! I shudder to think.

Good observation with the finger tip.

I am praying that you will be okay, and you'll be tucking into chips and mayo before you can say the word, "Henrys!" But will you?!